How we spent our Canadian vacation

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Mon Aug 12 19:51:42 UTC 2002

Now this word/sound is confusing to me.  In Minnesota we always said it,
pronounced as [e], and I still do.  But is the (French) Canadian sound
that's always remarked upon a nasalized [e~] or maybe [E~]?  Except that
western Canada would presumably have the non-nasalized form.  I've never
been clear on why this little utterance so fascinates people--unless the
nasal is crucial?