How we spent our Canadian vacation

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Mon Aug 12 20:52:21 UTC 2002

I don't know if it's even used in Canadian French, and I've never noticed
it as a feature of French Canadian-accented English.  It's famous as a
feature of Canadian English, and it isn't nasalized--just an [e] with
interrogative intonation.  There's nothing remarkable about the phonology
of it--it's no different from the same word used by some Americans to mean,
"What?" or "How's that again?"  What's remarkable about the Canadian "eh?"
is its use as a sort of universal punctuation mark with no real meaning.
To an American, Canadians seem (or seemed) to conclude every other sentence
with it.

Peter Mc.

--On Monday, August 12, 2002 3:51 PM -0400 Beverly Flanigan

                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu