MN and Canada, soda, etc.

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Wed Aug 14 16:18:18 UTC 2002

On "Fargo":  The peripatetic crooks spend a very brief time in Fargo, ND,
as I recall; the main action of the film takes place on the route between
Brainerd and Mpls (or St. Paul?).

But "eh" is very common in southern MN, at least in my SW part.  It's more
of a confirmatory tag question for me, like "So you went there, did
you?"--> "You went there, eh?" which might more likely be "huh?"
elsewhere.  I've never heard it used as a "filler," though perhaps that's
what distinguishes the Canadian usage?  And "ish" long ago became "ick" for
me, only because I dislike the sound symbolism of the former--a purely
aesthetic reason.

(Millie, you should join the ADS!  Look on the website.)