reconciliation of threads

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 16 18:08:29 UTC 2002

At 10:15 PM -0400 8/12/02, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>BOOR-BOOR (Mongolian meat pocket) & DAN YUN SPECIAL PANCAKES--Served
>at Kong Luh in Arlington and reviewed in the Boston newspapers.  I
>didn't see these "Mongolian" items anywhere else.

Hey; now that we've established that there's a generalized
pan-Asiatic language family encompassing Altaic (and hence Mongolian)
and Sino-Tibetan, it's clear that the Tibetan "momo" meat dumplings
Barry was posting about earlier constitute a nasalized and clipped
version of these "boor-boor" meat dumplings from Mongolian.   With
your mouth full of dumpling skin, it's sort of hard to hear those
final consonants anyway.
QED.

larry