Supermodel (Janice Dickinson's claim; Musexpot

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 18 09:46:08 UTC 2002

SUPERMODEL (continued)

   From the Sunday NEW YORK POST, 18 August 2002, pg. 57, col. 1:

   GISELE, Naomi, Kate--none of you would be where you are now without Janice
Dickinson.
   In "No Lifeguard on Duty: The Accidental Life of the World's First
Supermodel," the pioneering princess of high fashion describes how she set
the standard for debauchery--and invented the term that's now a household
word.
   "Monique begged me to slow down.  'Who do ypu think you are?' she asked in
her thick French accent.  'Supermon?'  'No,' I said.  'Supermodel.'  And lo
and behold!  I'd coined a phrase!"

   Janice--"supermodel" is a word, not a phrase.
   As I stated years ago right here on ADS-L, VOGUE used "super model" in a
1972 cover story about African-American model Naomi Simms.  The term was
popularized in the 1970s by PAGE SIX of the NEW YORK POST.  Anthony
Haden-Guest would later do a 1980s NEW YORK magazine story on supermodels;
Carole Alt of that article later believed that _she_ was the first
supermodel.
   I realize it's not important to the NEW YORK POST's PAGE SIX (which today
has a story on what Drew Barrymore is eating), but it might want to get this
thing correct and actually speak with the penniless word guy here.

MUSEXPOT

   From the NEW YORK OBSERVER, 19 August 2002, pg. 19, col. 4:

   ...they're at the Culture Project at 45 Bleeker seeing their comic
musexpot Sarah Silverman in her one-woman show, _Jesus Is Magic_.

(Can we agree on this one?  Sarah Silverman is the first "musexpot"?--ed.)