FW: Jones and Jones

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 19 18:12:40 UTC 2002

At 2:04 PM -0700 8/18/02, Kim & Rima McKinzey wrote:
>>In connection with the recent thread on street names in Manhattan, I have to
>>share the following, from Queens:
>
>In Forest Hills, excluding Forest Hills Gardens and the ABC streets
>(Austin, Burns, Clyde, Dartmouth etc.) the streets are numbered with
>Drive/Road/Ave, i.e., 67th Drive followed by 67th Road followed by
>67th Ave.  Well, until you get to 69th Rd which was inexplicably (to
>me, anyway) changed to Harry Von Arsdale (I think) Ave.  I have no
>idea who he was.

Harry Van (not Von) Arsdale Jr.  He was a labor leader, whose avenue
(orig. Jewel Avenue in Flushing) is celebrated enough to have made it
onto that classic (post 9/11) New Yorker cover featuring the new New
Yorkistan:  http://cartome.org/newyorkistan.htm
(The piece by Sarah Boxer does describe Van Arsdale a bit.)

larry