Movies Popularizing Slang

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 20 18:31:42 UTC 2002

At 10:13 PM -0400 8/19/02, Rick H Kennerly wrote:
>|o| Can anyone suggest names of movies that played significant roles in
>|o| popularizing slang expressions, such as "Clueless" or "Wayne's World"?
>

>Treasure of the Sierra Madres for "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges"

which didn't actually come from there in that form, according to an
earlier thread we had awhile back.

>Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid "you crazy? The fall will kill you" as well
>as "You just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at."

and "Who ARE those guys?"

>Gone With the Wind - Frankly, my dear...

and "As God is my witness,..."

Re Casablanca:

besides the other lines quoted, I've always been partial to "I was
misinformed".  (Rick's response to being told that the waters he came
to Casablanca for don't exist.)  But it does need a bit of build up.

Oh, from "When Harry Met Sally....", both

"Yes, yes, yes,..."  (as used in a current shampoo commercial, and I
think not directly taken from Joyce), and of course "I'll have what
she had."

There are some nice lines from Woody Allen movies that I've reheard too.

larry