That word "neen"

T. Hakala hakala at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Aug 21 19:23:32 UTC 2002

The most likely reason Finnish speakers have trouble with "that" and "who"
is due to the difference in interrogative and relative pronouns in
Finnish.  The interrogative pronoun "who" is "kuka" in Finnish, whereas
the relative pronoun "who" is "joka".  Or as my former Finnish instructor,
Andy Nestingen, so nicely explains:

"The nominative form of the relative pronoun in Finnish is 'joka,'....
Of course there are different nominative forms in English to distinguish
between people and things, who and which/that. In contrast, Finnish does
not make this distinction, and 'joka' can mean either a person or a thing.
So:

The boy, who is nice...Poika, joka on kiva...

The car, which is red...Auto, joka on punainen...

As a result, it would seem that a Finnish speaker who hadn't grasped the
distinctions made in English, and instead latched on to the most common
relative pronoun, say 'that,' which he or she used in place of 'joka,'
would consistently make the kind of grammatical error you mention."

So there you have it.  Don't be so hard on us Finns (my grandparents were
from Finland).  After all, we brought you the sauna!

Best,
Taryn Hakala

First line of the week:

This is the story of what a Woman's patience can endure, and what a Man's
resolution can achieve.