"Babysit" as transitive, teach, graduate

Duane Campbell dcamp911 at JUNO.COM
Wed Aug 21 20:09:59 UTC 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:57:58 EDT Douglas Bigham <TlhovwI at AOL.COM> writes:
> Nah, I think there's a difference.
> I graduated highschool in 1997, but I graduated FROM Pinckneyville
> Community
> HS.

In discussing graduated vs WAS graduated, Bernstein (The Careful Writer,
p. 207) notes, "Actually the forms are equally correct in American usage.
... The superstition may have arisen from the fact that it is incorrect
to say, 'He graduated college.' It is easy to imagine how some
foggy-minded schoolmarms may have associated this acknowledged crime with
the completely innocent, 'He graduated from college.'"