Thomas Edison, how could you?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 22 15:27:10 UTC 2002

At 9:28 AM -0400 8/22/02, James A. Landau wrote:
>At the Thomas Edison rest stop on the New Joisey Turnpike (near Staten
>Island) there are signs on the gas pump islands reading "It is illegal to
>dispense fuel into any kind of container."  No exception is specified for a
>car's gas tank.

I think they meant it.  New Jersey is one of I believe two states
that bans self-service gas dispensing.  What's understood here is
"illegal FOR CUSTOMERS..." (as opposed to attendants).  It's not just
Thomas Alva, but all the other Turnpike stations and everyplace else
in Jersey.   I would think the attendants would be allowed to
dispense fuel into the container of your choice.

Larry