Thomas Edison, how could you?

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Thu Aug 22 15:49:59 UTC 2002

In a message dated 8/22/02 11:25:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:

> New Jersey is one of I believe two states
>  that bans self-service gas dispensing.  What's understood here is
>  "illegal FOR CUSTOMERS..." (as opposed to attendants).  It's not just
>  Thomas Alva, but all the other Turnpike stations and everyplace else
>  in Jersey.   I would think the attendants would be allowed to
>  dispense fuel into the container of your choice.

No, the usual NJ usage on gas stations is to say "Self-service prohibited".
Living in New Jersey, I'm so used to such signs that I did not notice if the
Edison rest stop had them.   No, the sign in question clearly banned
ATTENDANTS from dispensing gas into containers.  In the local area gasoline
may be dispense into an "approved" container, which must be red; approved
containers for kerosene must be blue.  I don't know if this be state law or
local fire marshal regulation.  I own an approved red container for taking
gas (unleaded regular) to my lawnmower.

Apparently the Turnpike Authority figures that nobody is going to pay a toll
to get onto the Turnpike in order to get gas for lawn mowers or diesel fuel
for Coleman lanterns.  However, there are people who like to carry gas cans
in their cars so not to have to stop so often to refuel.  The authorities
consider this a dangerous practice, and I won't argue.  Hence the sign was to
ban filling of extra gas cans for the car being tanked up.

I think the other state that bans self-service is Oregon.

          - James A. Landau