what do you drink?

Fri Aug 23 12:33:02 UTC 2002

On Thursday, Aug 22, 2002, at 19:52 America/New_York, Danielle DeGreif
wrote:

> How do you refer to a carbonated beverage?  Do you say "soda" "soda
> pop"
> "pop" or "coke"?  I am curious as to whether the different phrases are
> regional.  Please respond with preference and state or any other
> phrases
> such as these.

Not only has this been asked to death (meaning not that you shouldn't
asked it, but that there are great resources available for you to use),
but it has been done with data gathered from better samples than an
email list full of language-conscious individuals.

Two resources on the topic:

ADS Email List Archives. Search for "soda" or "pop"
http://www.americandialect.org/adslarchive.html

The Great Soda vs. Pop Controversy
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~almccon/pop_soda/