what do you drink?

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Fri Aug 23 16:58:27 UTC 2002

This one has been around the block a few times, but usually when I join in
a thread dies, so maybe I can bring this one to a halt.
I think there is also a generational element in the pop/soda divide.  When
I was a kid (in Nebraska in the '30s), learning about these things, "pop"
came in glass bottles. "Sodas" in a general way were ice cream sodas
concocted in front of the customer at a soda fountain. One could also get
fountain drinks that were more or less the same as pop but mixed from syrup
& "soda water"  from the fountain spigot, served in glasses. With the
addition of a scoop of ice cream, these were "floats."
Coke could also be made at the fountain.  Otherwise, it came in 6-oz
bottles of very thick glass, that looked as if it were providing the 8 oz
that most pop bottles held. When Pepsi came on the scene it capitalized on
this   with the jingle:

Pepsi Cola hits the spot.
Twelve full ounces:
That's a lot.
Twice as much, and
For a nickel, too!
PepsiCola is the drink for you!

As I recall, Royal Crown, not to be outdone, also came in 12-oz bottles.
A. Murie