That word "neen" / restrictive "that"

Dale Coye Dalecoye at AOL.COM
Fri Aug 23 23:46:26 UTC 2002

The paperback version of my book (Routledge) just went through the which-hunt
too, this summer-- I referred the eds. to Merriam-Webster's Eng. Usage Dict.
(which they had never heard of) and their excellent (as usual) article on
this subject.  The villain in all this is Strunk and White--they use the term
'which-hunt' in fact--and I guess the culprits are also English Departments
throughout the country where majors are not required to complete a course
where someone could clue them in.  But I bet many faculty members in Eng.
Depts. everywhere are unaware of MWEUD--I had to be the one to order it at
The College of NJ when I started there five years ago.  Am I wrong about this?

Dale Coye
The College of NJ