Fwd: [GCFL] Interesting Facts [???]

Mike Salovesh salovesh at NIU.EDU
Sat Aug 24 06:06:51 UTC 2002

Etymology gets all folked up sometimes. These stories are even more
persistent than "POSH means 'Port Out, Starboard Home", but I don't
recall ADS-L discussion of their fake etymologies.

-- mike salovesh    <m-salovesh-9 at alumni.uchicago.edu>   PEACE !!!

 -------- Forwarded Message --------
-------- Edited for relevancy ---------

Subject: [GCFL] Interesting Facts
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 03:10:32 -0500 (CDT)
From: GCFL <gcfl-info at gcfl.net>

        <<snip>>

In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes.
When you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed
firmer to sleep on. Hence the phrase "goodnight, sleep tight."

It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month
after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with
all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their
calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month we know
today as the honeymoon.

In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts. So in old England,
when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them mind their
own pints and quarts and settle down. It's where we get the phrase "mind
your P's and Q's"

Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the
rim or handle of their ceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they
used the whistle to get some service. "Wet your whistle" is the phrase
inspired by this practice.

In Scotland, a new game was invented. It was entitled Gentlemen Only
Ladies Forbidden.... and thus the word GOLF entered into the English
language.

        <<snip>>

Remember when the funniest jokes were the clean ones?  They still are!
The Good, Clean Funnies List: Good, clean funnies five times a week,
FOR F R E E! ... AND NO ADS IN THE MAILINGS!

The latest GCFL funny can always be found on the web at
http://www.gcfl.net/archive/latest.html

To email this funny to a friend, go to
http://www.gcfl.net/archive/emailit.php3?funny=20020822

For subscription and other information, go to our web page at
http://www.gcfl.net, or send email to gcfl-info at gcfl.net.

Mailing address: GCFL, Box 100, Harvest, AL 35749