Erin McKean makes NY Times; I don't

Thomas Paikeday t.paikeday at SYMPATICO.CA
Sat Aug 24 17:19:02 UTC 2002

Thanks, Barry. I just looked it up and it reads good. Kudos to Erin.

Without being a spoilsport (just pushing my User's® Webster!), to take
the first example from "On Language," if I were a lay English user (w/o
Linguistics 101) "dying to have a new word that means 'overly eager to
speak,'" I  would be tempted to start with a stem with the "eager"
connection already estd. in English. (I can think of only "beaver" right
now, but "beaver" doesn't lend itself to stem-based word formation).
Perhaps try a hybrid like "itchivocal" (so itchivocal he took over the
whole meeting)?

I would avoid "acer-" by all means because it is connected in the
English user's mind with "acerbic," "acrid," "acrimony," etc. (The Latin
itself means "sharp, bitter"). "Acerbic," as probably the most
frequently occurring of the lot, is commonly found in the company of
"(an acerbic) critic, style, writer; (acerbic) comments, humor, wit"
etc.

Thus the hypothetical neologism "acerdictous" would suggest
"sharp-tongued" rather than "overly eager to speak."

TOM PAIKEDAY
www3.sympatico.ca/t.paikday/index.htm