Ground Zero; Flying Saucer; Mazda Lane; Hillbilly; T-Bone Steak; Luncheonette

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Aug 25 02:29:49 UTC 2002

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>    22 November 1896, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 4.
> (OED and the RHHDAS have 1900 for "hillbilly"?  Here it is the name of a
> horse in the second race at New Orleans--ed.)

Horses' names may be a major source of antedatings.  I once wrote an
article in AMERICAN SPEECH showing that the term "skyscraper" originated
as the name of an 18th-century horse.  Recently I found a horse named
Automation mentioned in 1943, five years before the OED's first use for
that word.  And then there's Upset...

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,