Subway Series (1934); Dream Team (1935)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 25 03:01:08 UTC 2002

   More from NEW YORK TIMES full text.

SUBWAY SERIES
   4 July 1934, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 21:
   Proponents of a "subway series" this Fall between the Yankees and Giants for the world's baseball championship may enjoy something of a preview when the all-star teams of the National and American League battle next Tuesday at the Polo Grounds.
(OKAY!  I HAD FOUND IT IN 1936!  YOU ALL GET YOUR MONEY BACK!...The Yankees played the Giants for the World Series in 1921, 1922, 1923, and then in 1936 and 1937.  I had been saying that it couldn't have been in 1921 or 1922, because they both played at the same stadium.  I didn't see "subway series" in 1923, and I saw it in 1936.  That is all still correct.  A 1936 citation had stated the "much-anticipated subway series."  I had known that "subway series" was probably somewhere in between 1923 and 1936, but, without full text, it was impossible to find.  Last year's MTA and Cooperstown "Subway Series" exhibit that used my work and stated that 1936 was the first one to be called a "subway series" is now verified.  Cartoonist Willard Mullin had not coined the term in the 1940s, as stated recently in this same NEW YORK TIMES.  For this work, of course, I receive no compensation or credit--ed.)

DREAM TEAM
   7 July 1935, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 54:
   It has always been a great baseball city and the home folks will give the rival "dream teams" a thunderous welcome.
(I had found "dream team" in reference to the baseball all-star game, but slightly later in the 1930s--ed.)

FROG AND TOE
   Douglas Wilson's comments are well taken.  Actually, I don't quite know what "frog and toe" means, and was hoping that more citations of the term would explain it.  There have been some references of frog=coppers, and the term has been used in criminal lingo.  Maybe I'll go to NEW YORK HERALD full text...