Qualifiable favorite?

Duane Campbell dcamp911 at JUNO.COM
Thu Aug 29 20:18:53 UTC 2002

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:53:31 -0400 Laurence Horn

> and don't forget our old friend, "most unique", "very unique", etc.
> Certainly "almost unique" is unobjectionable, but these
> superlatives
> have been objected to (and are also widely used).

I don't see the parallel between "unique" and "favorite." "Unique" is by
definition unqualifiable, but in a class of ten items you can favor or
have special regard for three or four of them. In a group of several
favorites, the one I hold in highest regard I call my "very favorite."
Haven't seen that come up. Is it ususual?