Quell'

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Sat Aug 31 17:48:24 UTC 2002

On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:

#In a message dated 8/31/2002 1:28:38 PM, dave at WILTON.NET writes:
#
#<< I was watching an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer tonight (Writer:
#Marti
#Noxon, Episode: "Wild At Heart," 1999) and was perplexed by a slang usage.
#Buffy says of a female singer, "She's quell' Fiona. Color me bored." I
#gathered from the context that Buffy meant the singer's style was derivative
#of pop singer Fiona Apple. "Quell'" was what was confusing me. Finally, I
#guessed that it was a clipped form of the German quelle (source) or
#quellenforshung (study of influences on a work).

Unless you had subtitles, how are you sure of the spelling? How was it
pronounced?
        "kell"    /kEl/   ?
        "kwell"   /kwEl/  ?
        "kvell"   /kvEl/  ?