Quell'

Douglas Bigham TlhovwI at AOL.COM
Sat Aug 31 18:13:16 UTC 2002

This has been around for quite a while.  And I'm sure it's directly French,
as the same people who say "quelle", like Buffy did, often say "Quoi?"
For example, "Oh that was quelle retarded."
I've been using and hearing it for the last five years at least, but it must
be older.  Douglas Coupland, in "Generation X" puts it in his marginalia
(p.120) as an abbreviation:

QFD: Quelle Fucking Drag.  "Jamie got stuck at Rome airport for thirty-six
hours and it was, like, totally QFD."

QFM:  Quelle Fashion Mistake.  "It was really QFM, I mean painter pants?
That's 1979 beyond belief."

-dsb
Douglas S. Bigham
University of Texas - Austin