Girl Scout Cookies (1932)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 1 01:17:05 UTC 2002

GIRL SCOUT COOKIES

   I walked by this new sign, at Arch Street near Broad Street in
Philadelphia:

      GIRL SCOUT COOKIES
   On November 11, 1932, Girls Scouts baked & sold cookies for the first time
in the windows of the Philadelphia Gas & Electric Co. here.  This endeavor
soon became a Philadelphia tradition.  In 1936 the Girl Scouts of the U. S.
A. adopted the annual cookie sale as a national program.

Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission 2001

MISC.

NEXT L.O.C . (WASHINGTON D.C.) TRIP--I'm thinking of going back on Monday.
I'll have 8:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m. to do a lot of stuff.  I'll look for "I'm from
Missouri" in both the ROCKY MOUNTAIN NEWS and in the COLORADO SPRINGS GAZETTE
of 1897.  I have access to the WASHINGTON POST if anyone needs that.

EFFETENIK--Used by Michael Wolff in NEW YORK magazine.  I also saw it in the
NEW YORK POST a day or so ago.

PINTOS AND BEANS--From my last post.  I meant that White Castle offers "pinto
beans and rice."

EDIFICE COMPLEX--Mentioned in connection with NY Governor Nelson
Rockefeller's Albany government buildings in this Sunday's William Safire
column.  My work shows that the term pre-dates this.  As usual (and this is
happening nearly every week now), my work is not mentioned.

THE BACHELOR & AUDREY MUNSON--I filled out an online application for the ABC
show THE BACHELOR, but will probably never be considered.  My Audrey Munson
work inspired me in a way.  I found more information about her in the
California newspaper index and in the Washington Post online ("Former Model
Cursed by Her Great Beauty; Audrey Munson, Whose Divine Form Brought Her Fame
and Fortune, Is Now a Pitiful Figure, Impoverished, Jobless and Driven to
Seclusion by Shattered Nerves," 10-24-1926, pg. SM3).  There were San
Francisco articles about her engagement to a "Marquis Dinelli," and then her
famous search for a perfect man.  Her story would be unknown until 1996, when
she was rediscovered in the NEW YORK TIMES by Barry "Popick."