wash cloth to worsh rag

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Mon Dec 2 22:43:49 UTC 2002

Thanks, Mark!
Actually, I like your physics-of-the-mouth description (openness of script
a with lip formation of turned c).  I'll use that next time I teach dialect
variation to my grad students!  I don't bother to teach the turned script a
to my undergrads; but interestingly, when I ask southern Ohioans to
transcribe a word like "body" they almost always give me the turned c
(rhyming with my Northern 'bawdy'), suggesting that their phonemic sense of
the sound is that of open O.