Fwd: %"Underdog" Song (Quotation Query #235)

Barnhart ADS-L at HIGHLANDS.COM
Mon Dec 2 00:36:04 UTC 2002

on 12/1/02 8:53 AM, Fred Shapiro at fred.shapiro at yale.edu wrote:

> The word "underdog" is said to have originated in a 19th-century song
or
> poem by David Barker ("The Under-Dog in the Fight").  Can anyone
supply
> any information about when this Barker text was first published, and
> whether it was a song or a poem?

Fred:

I didn't find a song with lyrics by David Barker but I found these
entries
at the Levy Sheet Music Collection

Title: The Under Dog in the Fight.
Composer, Lyricist, Arranger: Composed by A.J. Higgins.
Publication: New York: J.L. Peters, n.d..
Form of Composition: strophic with chorus
Instrumentation: piano and voice
First Line: I know that the world the great big world From the Peasant
up to
the King
First Line of Chorus: For the under dog in the fight
Plate Number: 617