trunk vs boot

Erin Conley ekconley at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 2 18:36:43 UTC 2002

In the small Kentucky community, where I grew up, people always referred to
the "trunk" of the car as the "boot."  I always thought it was the southern
way of saying it, until I first went to college in the mountains of Eastern
Kentucky.  It was there that my new friends laughed their heads off at
hearing me say this.  Someone told me that is how they refer to it in
England.  Does anyone know if theret is truth to that?  Since that time, I
have never heard any other Kentuckians refer to it as a "boot" other than
those who live in my little community.