Teaching With a Kentucky Accent

Millie Webb millie-webb at CHARTER.NET
Tue Dec 10 18:48:49 UTC 2002

As I said, this was the vague impression of Mid-Landers, who had probably
never even been "out there".  And a lot of Washingtonians and Oregonians for
a while there, seemed to be transplants from California, and thus, the
perceived spread of the "surfer-like" speech.

----- Original Message -----
From: "FRITZ JUENGLING" <juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2002 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: Teaching With a Kentucky Accent

> Wow! Amazing how distorted things can be! I think Curt and his band,
Nirvana, were from Seattle, the alleged home of grunge, which is what I
think you are describing. As far as sounding like surfers--I don't think so.
I can't imagine anyone trying to sound like a surfer here. That's just a
different culture.  (Also, the water's too cold to be into surfing, unless
you have a thick wet suit).  I guess we Oregonians are just 'out there'
(i.e. West) and are largely unknown.  That's just fine.