Cole Porter

Millie Webb millie-webb at CHARTER.NET
Tue Dec 17 00:17:50 UTC 2002

Thank you very much.  I wondered about that: How could she be an American
party queen (or whatever more genteel word was used earlier) if she were a
Brit in the House of Commons.  -- Millie

(And I will look at that site with some of her quotes.  Thanks for that
reference too.)
----- Original Message -----
From: "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 4:07 PM
Subject: Re: Cole Porter

>         I presume that by Lady Astor, Millie Webb meant Viscountess Nancy
Witcher Astor (1879 - 1964), the first woman to sit in the House of Commons,
best known today for her bon mots and as Winston Churchill's verbal
antagonist.  Some quotes are reproduced at
http://www.dropbears.com/b/broughsbooks/lady_astor.htm.  Lady Astor is, of
course, entirely different from the earlier Mrs. Astor, though they both
married into the same Astor family.