WOTY Weapons; My Heart Is in My Hand or Mouth

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Dec 20 10:26:44 UTC 2002

WOTY WEAPONS

   "Weapons of mass destructions" is a bit old--not that that matters for
WOTY competition.
   I did a "weapons insp*" search in the online OED.  I was looking for
"weapons inspection(s)" and "weapons inspector(s)."  There were no hits.
These are not new, either, but perhaps deserve a look.

MY HEART IS IN MY HAND OR MOUTH

"My heart is in my hand...YEECH!"
--Tom Lehrer, "Masochism Tango"

"Architect Robert A. M. Stern compared the Seagram Building's artwork to the
Sistine Chapel and said, 'My heart is in my mouth, I'm so upset.'"
--NEW YORK OBSERVER, December 23-30, 2002. pg. 4, col. 1.

   At least someone's heart is in the right place.
   I did a "hand-to-mouth" Google search.  Hand (& Hands) wins 300-160 in
Google, 963-793 in Google Groups. Hands down.

O.T. NEW YORK CITY

   It's good to get out of NYC at this time of the year, as those of you
coming to NYC for the MLA will soon learn.
   About two days ago, I got a Co-op memo.  Our taxes are increasing 18.5%.
Plus, we have a new terrorism insurance requirement that amounts to $188,000
a year.  That's about $1,000 a unit each year, just so we can collect in the
event we're all killed.  We're going bankrupt all over again.
   I hope you MLA-ers don't need to smoke...