Balloonatics, Wuzabeasts and more from Kenya

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Dec 28 15:30:33 UTC 2002

   Greetings from Kenya.  Two more weeks of the darn animals and no internet.  I'm going to go nuts.  We sit in a bus, drive around all day, and I'm five minutes away from eating again.
   The Kenyan election is over and the votes are being counted.  Hopefully, they'll have no "hanging Chads" or "swinging Tanzanias."

CHILE CON CARNE--The citation I provided is probably closer to "carne con chile."

BALLOONATICS--Fans of balloon safaris, or ballooning.

WUZABEAST--Dead wildebeasts or other animals, not identifiable.

WILDEBUS--A tourist bus, one of about 20 that surround that poor leopard up in the tree.

NO HOOTING--No Honking.

PRONKING--Animal's jumping.

MANDAZI--Up-country name for the donut.
MAHAMRI--coastal (Muslim) name for the donut.

LOBSTER "BWANA T"
PRAWNS PIRI PIRI--Seen on a local menu at the Verandah Garden Restaurant.  Is "piri piri" in the works for OED?

SAFARI--I was told that the Thompson gazelle was named after Thompson, who gave us the first safari.  I haven't checked.