Molotov, Mai-Tai, Cover Jinx (continueds)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Feb 3 21:03:01 UTC 2002

COVER JINX (continued)

   I forgot to add that I looked for "cover jinx" in the old ADS-L archives and couldn't find that, either.  I had planned on writing a definitive letter to SPORTS ILLUSTRATED on both "jinx" and "cover jinx."
   Grant Barrett is not at fault here!  We all are thankful for what he's done!
   The fact is--"cover jinx," "wop," "clean your clock," and "rackensack"--100% of what I've recently looked for is not there.  Fred Shapiro recently said that he had trouble using it.
   As for "Windy City," it _was_ published in COMMENTS ON ETYMOLOGY--twice.  It was in the WALL STREET JOURNAL.  It's on the web in WORLD WIDE WORDS, THE STRAIGHT DOPE, and the AMERICAN MEMORY database.  It's on the CHICAGO TRIBUNE's own microfilm for September 11, 1886.
   I have told this many times, to many Chicago Tribune editors, for the past six years.
   There's _no_ excuse for it to be wrong five times in the past nine months.

MOLOTOV (continued)

ACES WILD
by Robert A. Winston
Holiday House, NY
1941

Pg. 146:
   Another bit of Russian devilry on exhibit was the infamous "Molotov Bread-basket," a huge bomb filled with hundreds of smaller incendiary bombs.  This mechanism revolved as it fell, opening its sides and scattering the incendiaries over a wide area.  The Finns also called the air-raid shelters which pitted Helsinki's public parks "Molotov's Holes," after the Soviet official who was Stalin's mouthpiece.

(I forgot this, copying instead "mickeybrah" from this page--ed.)

MAI-TAI (continued)

   I probably can find earlier.
   From GOURMET, July 1961, pg. 44, col. 3:

Q. Can you tell me how to make _mai-tai_--a drink made of rum, fruit juices, and honey?
   HARRY E. OHLRICH
   WARRENSVILLE HEIGHTS, OHIO
A. Here's how they make _mai-tai_ at one hotel bar.  Other barkeeps add a cherry to the garnish or float an orchid on the drink.
   _Mai-Tai Royal Hawaiian_
   Pour into a glass 1 jigger each of light and dark Jamaica rum.  Add the juice of (Pg. 45, col. 1--ed.) 1 lime and half the shell, and a dash each of orgeat syrup, rock candy syrup, and orange Curacao.  Garnish the drink with a sprig of mint, a pineapple stick, and a sugar cane stick.  Fill the glass with shaved ice.