Vodka & Yurt (1780); Kabitka (1754)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 8 01:11:15 UTC 2002

RUSSIA:
OR, A COMPLEAT HISTORICAL ACCOUNT OF THE NATIONS WHICH COMPOSE THAT EMPIRE
by Johann Gottlieb Georgi
London:  J. Nichols
1780

   I received volume two, but not volume one.  I saved it for last, didn't go through it all, and will try to request it again on Saturday.   The NYPL's catnyp dates this book "1780-1783."

Pg. 29:  The Tartar villages are made up of several small huts, called _yourts_* by the Russians.
*_Yourts_ is a Tartarian word, and in that language signifies simply a habitation; but as they are commonly to mean, its present idea is that of huts and hovels miserably made.
(OED has about the same date--ed.)

Pg. 33:  Their tschoureks are cakes, unleavened, and baked upon the hearth....

Pg. 34:  ...they are most fond of bisbarmak, or five finger dish....

Pg. 36:  ...an intoxicating liquor called by them barbusan, composed of yeast, meal, and hops, which they put by to ferment.

Pg. 115:  *Kabak in the Russian language signifies a public house for the common people to drink _vodka_ (a sort of brandy) in.

AN HISTORICAL ACCOUNT OF THE BRITISH TRADE OVER THE CASPIAN SEA;
WITH A JOURNAL OF TRAVELS FROM LONDON THROUGH RUSSIA INTO PERSIA, AND BACK AGAIN THROUGH RUSSIA, GERMANY, AND HOLLAND
by James Hanway, Merchant
Dubkin: William Smith and Tichard James
1754

Pg. 107:  ...a kind of cherry brandy.*
*The Russians call it Visnosky.

Pg. 302:  ...we arrived near the Horda of our friend...who conducted us the next day to his Kabitka.*
*Tent of the nature already described to be in use among the Khalmucks.

Pg. 357:  ...the Russians pitched their Tartar Kabitkas*....
*Tents.
(OED has 1798 and 1799 for "kabitka" and "kibitka"--ed.)

Pg. 359:  ...quash*....
*A species of small beer, being a second preparation of it boiled up.