"Bob's your uncle"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Fri Feb 8 02:08:22 UTC 2002

      As mentioned here already (not original on my part), "Bob's your
uncle" seems to derive from the 1887 selection by Robert Cecil (Lord
Salisbury) of his nephew Arthur Balfour to be chief secretary for
Ireland.

      I have been looking for specific confirmation of this but
haven't yet found it. The Encyclopedia Britannica (my copy: 1966),
under "Balfour, Arthur James," presents relevant information but
nothing directly about "Bob's your uncle."  The article cites three
books about Balfour, but a check of them turns  up no mention of
"Bob's your uncle."

     Interestingly, Balfour turned out to be a better choice for the
Irish position than anticipated by the public. Still, the initial
surprise at his appointment (with the assumption of nepotism) and his
resistance to Irish Home Rule could have provided fertile ground for
the start of "Bob's your uncle," especially among the Irish. Maybe
the search for early attestations of "Bob's your uncle" should turn
to Irish writings.

     Here (below my signoff) is what the Encyclopedia Britannica says:

--Gerald Cohen