"Bob's your uncle"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sat Feb 9 23:07:56 UTC 2002

     I'm still looking for evidence of "Bob's your uncle" being
discussed in treatments about Arthur James Balfour, whose uncle
(Robert Cecil = Lord Salisbury) appointed him chief secretary for
Ireland in 1887.

     There's not much chance of Balfour's main biographer, Blanche E.
C. Dugdale, shedding light on the expression. She was his niece and
not even willing to admit the possibility of nepotism in the 1887
Balfour appointment. In her book _Arthur James Balfour_ vol. 1,1936