pleonasms

Thu Feb 14 22:40:31 UTC 2002

Even in the split pin/pen North, I grew up with "ink pen."  Back in the
dark ages, it referred, as Don Lance said, to fountain pens, like the
classic Shaeffer I got as a special birthday gift.  For a long, long time,
we differentiated fountain (or ink) pens from ballpoint pens, esp. valuing
the first for "good" writing, like greeting cards.  A "lead" pencil, in my
childhood, referred to the kind with a thin lead rod twisted in and out of
a metal or plastic case (if that's clear).  "Regular" pencils were the
yellow school kind.