pleonasms

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 15 13:25:47 UTC 2002

>On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 19:30:46 +0800 Laurence Horn
>
>>  Yes, it heats cold (or lukewarm) water, but its function is to heat
>>  water hot.  If "hot" is a resultative rather than a depictive, it
>>  makes sense and isn't really pleonastic.
>
>Dazzling.
>
>I am sure you have other examples of resultive pseudo-pleonasms.

OK, by popular demand, I have one to nominate.

Picture Colonel Sanders armed with his EXTRA-CRISPY CHICKEN FRYER.

It does not fry extra-crispy chicken, but it does fry chicken extra-crispy.

Agreed, these resultative pseudo-pleonasms don't grow on trees, but
that's why they're so valuable when you find 'em.

larry