Stick pins (was: pleonasms: ink pen)

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Tue Feb 19 02:36:17 UTC 2002

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Kim & Rima McKinzey wrote:

#>... Neither agreed with "straight pin" (but one roommate tried to make the
#>difference between the sewing pins with colored balls on the top).  The
#>second roommate had never heard of "stick pin".  We're all So.IL, early 20s.
#>And that's my final thought.... probably.
#
#Doesn't surprise me that it's age related, now that you mention it.
#How many people wear hats with hat pins or cravats with stick pins?
#And fewer and fewer people seem to be sewing.  THose of us into
#costuming are a limited bunch...

"Stickpin" (no space) is something I know, sort of, as a lexon referring
to some kind of ornamental pin roughly as described, but it's not an
object in my life. (Male, 53.)

-- Mark A. Mandel, d/b/a Dr. Whom
   Consulting Linguist, Grammarian, Orthoepist, and
   Philological Busybody