Malassadas (1940)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Feb 20 21:35:20 UTC 2002

   Greetings from New Zealand.  It must be New Zealand.  I mean, I just passed a store called "New York Bagels."  I can't be in New York, right?
   Katherine Bazore's book is a classic for its topic, and it has "malassada."  The web information that "malasada" was introduced to Hawaii by Leonard's Bakery in 1953 is unquestionably wrong.  It should be removed from the web immediately, but you all know how easy that is.
   Again, this beats DARE by about 25 years, and the revised OED has no entry at all.

HAWAIIAN AND PACIFIC FOODS:
A COOK BOOK OF CULINARY CUSTOMS AND RECIPES ADAPTED FOR THE AMERICAN HOSTESS
by Katherine Bazore
Chairman, Home Economics Department
University of Hawaii
New York: M. Barron's and Company, Incorporated
1940

Pg. 261:
     _Desserts--Portuguese_
   SWEET DOUGHNUTS (FILOSES OR MALASSADAS)
2 sticks cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1 cake compressed yeast
2 tablespoons lukewarm water
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup strained honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
2 3/4 cups flour
3 eggs
2 pounds fat or salad oil
(Pg. 262--ed.)
   Heat the cinnamon in the milk.  When it reaches the boiling point remove it from the fire, allow it to cool to lukewarm, and remove the cinnamon.  Moisten the yeast with the lukewarm water.  Add the yeast, salt, sugar, and melted butter to the warm milk.  Stir in part of the flour, beating vigorously to prevent lumps from forming.  Add the beaten eggs and remaining flour to form a soft dough.  Cover and place the dough in a warm place for 2 to 3 hours until it doubles in bulk.  Drop by the tablespoonful into deep fat heated to 350 degrees F.  Fry until the pieces are evenly browned.  Remove and drain them on unglazed paper.  Roll the filoses in honey and sugar and serve.  They are usually served on Shrove Tuesday.
(1 serving, 1 doughnut, approximately 39 grams--203 calories)
yield 24 doughnuts.

(I don't have my Portuguese cookbook notes handy with me in New Zealand to research further--ed.)