America and Americans (and Brits)

Douglas Bigham TlhovwI at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 21 00:09:57 UTC 2002

Completely tangential, but as long as we're renaming state and state
residents...

For MANY MANY years, those of us from Southern Illinois (roughly below I-64)
have tried to seperate ourselves from the rest of the state.  No, we're not
from anywhere NEAR Chicago (and get Really Annoyed by the mistake).  Sometime
around the Civil War we tried to split and call ourselves "New Egypt" or
something like that.  The idea pops up every now and then.  I always stress
the "southern" part when someone asks where I'm from.

-dsb
Douglas S. Bigham
Southern Illinois University - Carbondale