America and Americans / Europeans

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Sat Feb 23 18:05:51 UTC 2002

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, FRITZ JUENGLING wrote:

#>>> Mark A Mandel <mam at THEWORLD.COM> 02/22/02 01:23PM >>>
#On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, FRITZ JUENGLING wrote:
#
##I have a student from Arkansas, who insists that Arkansas is in the
##Midwest.  Her logic--Arkansas is next to Missouri and Missouri is in
##the Midwest.
#
#Then so is Massachusetts. Reductio ad absurdum. Quod erat demonstrandum.
#
#Please Mark, don't say that!!! If some of my students were to see
#that, they might think Mass IS next to Missouri! :)

Poor dears. Then it's your responsibility to teach them, if not Latin,
at least the meaning and application of these two expressions, which are
IMHO part of the global vocabulary of logic.

-- Mark A. Mandel