"Big Apple" is finally online

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Feb 27 05:39:01 UTC 2002

   John J. Fitz Gerald's 1920s "Big Apple" columns are finally online.  Go to www.PoliticsNY.com and click for "Enos Throop," or go directly to www.politicsny.com/scoop/index.shtml.
   It was ten years ago that I brought this to the attention of William Safire and the New York Times.  George Thompson's sex life got better coverage!
   Safire's column, even _eight years_ later, got it wrong and never corrected my words.  I have always said that "Big Apple" was spoken by an African-American, and that that African-American should be honored, and that the Times should help look for him by telling readers his exact words.
   I told the story to PoliticsNY.com, and the site agreed to tell the story--at last--this Black History Month.
   FWIW, at the Honolulu Airport, the cocktail lounge was decorated with an old menu from PHIL'S PAGO-PAGO COCKTAIL LOUNGE.  I don't know the where or when, but this is probably early 1950s.  Some stuff from that drink menu:

BIG APPLE--Hawaiian Fruit Juices, Light Rums and Sloe Gin, Served in Hollowed-Out Fresh Pineapple  $2.00

"KING SIZE" AFTER DINNER SUGGESTIONS
Pink Elephant
Grasshopper
Chartreuse