"Big Apple" is finally online

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 27 16:27:23 UTC 2002

At 12:39 AM -0500 2/27/02, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>    John J. Fitz Gerald's 1920s "Big Apple" columns are finally
>online.  Go to www.PoliticsNY.com and click for "Enos Throop," or go
>directly to www.politicsny.com/scoop/index.shtml.
>    It was ten years ago that I brought this to the attention of
>William Safire and the New York Times.  George Thompson's sex life
>got better coverage!
>    Safire's column, even _eight years_ later, got it wrong and never
>corrected my words.  I have always said that "Big Apple" was spoken
>by an African-American, and that that African-American should be
>honored, and that the Times should help look for him by telling
>readers his exact words.
>    I told the story to PoliticsNY.com, and the site agreed to tell
>the story--at last--this Black History Month.

Of course both the PoliticsNY.com site and the Museum of the City of
New York's site, http://www.mcny.org/answers.htm#bigapple, misspell
Fitz Gerald's name (as FitzGerald and Fitzgerald), even though they
link to the original columns in which the writer spells his name
correctly.  Oh well, we shouldn't look gift horses, even
thoroughbreds, in the mouth.

larry