speculations on future pan-Slavic??

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Thu Feb 28 02:36:48 UTC 2002

A correspondent writes:

---------- Forwarded message ----------

 >># Hi, It's D. with a question for the
#linguistically obsessed - I mean, talented.  :)
#
#Any ideas/web sites with speculation/theories on the different Modern
#Slavic languages (West, East, and Southern) becoming a sort of
#standardized language in the future?  Sort of like ST's Standard, but
#for the Slav languages.

[ST = Star Trek]

  The idea came to me, the poor overworked and bored military linguist,
whilst browsing through some online dictionaries and thinking about
colonization.  I'm making brief forays into learning Czech, although
having a hard time finding any decent materials, dictionaries, etc.

I told her I had no idea but would pass the question around.

-- Mark A. Mandel
   Linguist at Large