mid-rift

Herbert Stahlke hstahlke at ATT.NET
Thu Feb 28 05:15:42 UTC 2002

This looks like an instance of the paragoge that adds
a /t/ to "cliff" and "chess", giving nonstandard "clift"
and "chest".  I've only heard it on these two words, now
increased to three by "mid-rift".  Anyone know other
words that undergo this?

Herb Stahlke
In today's SF Chronicle, in a sad story about a 17 year old girl who
is missing, there is a quote from the girl's uncle quoting a
witnesses observation:

"He described the red mid-rift shirt she was wearing."

A new one on me, unless this is simply a mistake and he meant midriff.

Rima