mid-rift

Benjamin Fortson fortson at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Feb 28 14:53:02 UTC 2002

This is like the regional (?) pronunciation of "riff" (as in music) as
"rift". Perhaps ultimately the same phenomenon as the addition of -t to
final fricatives in words like oncet and twicet, or (in German) Obst, Axt,
sonst, (regional) Senft (for Senf 'mustard'), etc.

Ben