Big-Bang toys (1915); ADS-L miss-ages

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 27 00:13:10 UTC 2002

ADS-L MISS-AGES

   I checked the ADS web site.  I still haven't received over half of Friday's mail--including the messages that I sent on Thursday.
   O.T.:  The snail mail doesn't work, either.  I'm ordering some used cookbooks.  I live in NYC.  Things _used_ to get here almost immediately.  Now it takes 7 days, 8 days, 9 days, 10 days, two weeks.  Are they coming here on really slow planes?

BIG-BANG

   This continues discussion of "Big Bang."  Fred Hoyle died a few months ago, and "Big Bang" was in his obituary.
   A check of the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office shows "Big-Bang" as of September 1915, registered 1917.
   "Big-Bang" heavily advertised in BOYS' LIFE.  From June 1929, pg. 70, col. 1:

Big-Bang artillery
Big-Bang heavy artillery
Big-Bang bombing plane
Big-Bang navy gun-boat
Big-Bang army tank
Big-Bang safety pistol
   For celebrating, firing salutes, playing at war.  A real flash--a real BANG.
THE CONESTOGA CORPORATION
Bethlehem, Pa.

("Okay, Junior, back to your room!  Play with your toys!  Do you need more ammo?"--ed.)