No subject

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Jul 8 21:43:54 UTC 2002

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> "PROSECUTING A HAM SANDWICH"
>    I put the question to Sol Wachtler today, and he laughed.  Yes, it's
> his.  He said that Marcia Kramer, then of the NEW YORK DAILY NEWS, put
> it on the front page, I asked for a specific date, and he said January
> 1985.  Fred Shapiro and Andy Smith should let me know if they need the
> exact date for their books, and I'll look it up when I get back.

Yes, I would be very interested in the specifics.  Currently I have 1 Feb.
1985 in the New York Times for the "ham sandwich" quote.

Of course, Jim Landau is right that it's "indict a ham sandwich," not
"prosecute a ham sandwich."

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,