Read with pleasure: thanks for the wonderful new book

Tue Jul 9 02:08:59 UTC 2002

To all ADS-ers and Friends,
I'm delighted that Larry Horn appreciates the book mentioned below, and I
thank him for all the praise. Aside from Allen Walker Read himself and Dick
Bailey, no one did more to bring this book to our hands than Charles Carson,
the Managing Editor of American Dialect Society Publications. Charles's work
was extraordinary, even for him. Moreover, the unusual size of the book meant
that he had to do somehow squeeze in all of the extra work--above and beyond
all of his other duties.

Charles has probably contributed more to the success of American Dialect
Society publications in the past decade than any other person. I am grateful
for all his good work.

Sincerely,
Ron Butters
Chief Editor, American Dialect Society Publications