press inquiry

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 18 02:44:51 UTC 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Catherine Aman wrote:

> For instance, the neo-verb "to wand" will be included in the piece.

This is the second time in the past few days that I have seen "to wand"
referred to as a neologism.  It isn't -- I know I have heard it used for
years to describe scanning a barcode with a barcode reader.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,