press inquiry

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Jul 18 03:59:15 UTC 2002

> > For instance, the neo-verb "to wand" will be included in the piece.
>
> This is the second time in the past few days that I have seen
> "to wand"
> referred to as a neologism.  It isn't -- I know I have heard
> it used for
> years to describe scanning a barcode with a barcode reader.

I assume that in the 9/11 context, "to wand" refers to metal detection
devices at airport security checkpoints not barcode readers. It's not quite
the same sense. Although, a Google groups search turns up several instances
of "to wand" in the airport context dating back to at least 1992. So it's
still not a post-9/11 neologism in any case.

("At one airport they wanted me to take off my belt and walk through the
gizmo. I told 'em it would be easier for me to take off my pants. They
decided to wand me down by hand!"; Subject: "Re: This is the stupidest ? but
I had to ask it ...", posted to rec.arts.bodyart - 08 Feb 1992 by Nicholas
J. Simicich.) There are lots of interesting posts on things that set of
metal detectors on rec.arts.bodyart.