hock/hawk (again)

Matthew Gordon GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Thu Jul 18 20:57:19 UTC 2002

My limited experience with Minnesotans suggests that younger speakers (under
30) are merged.

I'm curious about Millie's note that her family distinguish the sounds "about
90% of the time." This is a phonemic contrast - don't you either have to have
it or not? In the other 10% of the time, do they switch into a new phonology?
Or maybe it's lexically specific?